Thursday, January 10, 2013

How Firm A Foundation


The branch chorister is in our district, so I volunteered to play the piano in Church last Sunday (6th).  I sat down last Wednesday to pick some hymns and, thinking that I would be doing it for several weeks and should save the easy songs for later, I decided that my first song would be How Firm a Foundation, #85.  I couldn't really play perfectly at first (two lines gave me trouble), but I kept practicing every day.  Even when I thought I should give up on it and play one of the songs I can play with no problem, I kept at it.  Come Sunday, it was the best of the three songs I played.

Then, during Fast and Testimony meeting, one Senior Elder who is going to Spain bore his testimony.  He bore it of what he liked to call the "Tender Ironies" of the Lord, such as the fact that on his first Sunday in the MTC, the first hymn that was sung was his favorite hymn, #85, How Firm a Foundation.  I was shocked as I realized that I had been silently led by the Holy Spirit that week to learn a song I didn't know so I could give a small bit of comfort to a man who was going out to serve a mission.  I know it was no great thing, but for me it was more of a proof of concept, that we really can be led by the Spirit in the things we do without even knowing it.

Then later on Sunday, we watched a recorded talk.  In it, Elder Bednar essentially taught that we shouldn't worry about whether we are being led by the Spirit in any given moment (that is, we shouldn't have this debate about "is it the Spirit or is it me?"), but rather trust that when we are righteous and 'being a good boy' the Spirit will guide us without us necessarily knowing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment